John Inkster (d.1874, aged 74).
Orkney John, as he was know in the Red River Settlement, was a stonemason who arrived in the settlement in 1821. Within a few years, Inkster had become a prosperous farmer and trader, and built Seven Oaks House (north of the Cathedral on Main Street and Rupertsland Avenue). The house is now a museum, maintained in the style of the Red River Settlement days. At Seven Oaks, Inkster and his wife Mary (nee Sinclair) raised their nine children, among them a son Colin, who was eventually to follow in his father’s footsteps as a Warden of St. John’s Cathedral.