- Only by exercising ourselves in the examination process day by day do we develop the faculty of discernment
- Purpose is to check in with how we are moving toward God or away from God
- Thank God specifically for the gifts received today
- Expressing gratitude will help me to discover gifts from God as they are given to me in the future so that I can be more spontaneously grateful as they are given
- What has happened today that I should be thankful for?
- What do I find most difficult to be grateful for?
Prayer for the Light of the Spirit:
- Did I allow God to direct me in the events of my day?
- Was I open to all the channels through which God might have spoken to me today?
- Did I experience God’s gifts for me: a new peace, patience, love, joy, kindness, fidelity, gentleness, self-control?
- Did I feel drawn to the Lord any time today through a friend, an event, a good book, an experience of nature?
- How did I meet God today in my fears, my joys, my work, my misunderstandings, my suffering?
- How did God’s word come alive for me today?
- In what ways have I been the sign of God’s presence and love: to my friends, to my family, to the people I work with, to the people I met today?
- Have I experienced a growing awareness of: my being loved, my sinfulness
- Of what area of my being is Jesus not yet Lord?
Contrition and Sorrow:
- A growing awareness of my lack of response to God’s love should arouse in me:
- sorrow and wonder at being constantly brought to newness
- a sense of deep joy and gratitude because I have been guaranteed the victory through Jesus
- a growing mistrust of self and firm trust in God
- a humble awareness of my weakness
- a strong faith that I am gradually being converted from sinner to child of God
Hopeful Resolution for the Future:
- How do I look toward the future? Am I despondent, fearful, discouraged? If so, why?
- Do I have a great desire to face the future with renewed vision and sensitivity as I pray?
- Am I willing to respond to God’s call with more faith, humility, courage
- Am I filled with hope, not founded on my own powers, but in the Trinity whose glorious victory in Jesus Christ I share through the life of God’s Spirit in my heart
- The more I trust God and allow the Lord to lead my life, the more I will experience true supernatural hope in and through Christ, beyond my weakness, pain and poverty. This experience brings JOY!
I leave the past behind and with hands outstretched to whatever lies ahead I go straight for the goal.