Our first quiz is relatively seasonal. Ever since its first performance Handel’s ‘Messiah’ has captivated audiences around the world.
How much do you know about this classic oratorio?
Handel was a gifted composer, but even gifted composers can take a long time to produce their masterpieces.
How long did it take Handel to compose ‘Messiah’?
- Just over three days
- Just over three weeks
- Just over three months
- Just over three years
Who selected all those passages from scripture that form the libretto for the great oratorio?
- Charles Jennens
- Thomas Morell
- Lorenzo da Ponte
- Paolo Rolli
The first performance of ‘Messiah’ took place on April 13, 1743.
Handel’s ‘Messiah’ is performed annually in London, with a chorus and soloists (often numbering up to 3,000) drawn from all over the world .
Where does the performance take place?
- Westminster Abbey
- The Albert Hall
- St. Paul’s Cathedral
- Wembley Stadium
The scripture passages that make up the libretto for ‘Messiah’ were drawn from what source?
- The Book of Common Prayer only
- The King James Version of the Bible only
- The Geneva Bible
- The Book of Common Prayer and the King James Version of the Bible
Which of these composers wrote a popular arrangement of ‘Messiah’?
What restrictions were placed on the gentlemen in the audience at the premiere performance of ‘Messiah’ in April, 1743?
- They weren’t allowed to wear their hats
- They weren’t allowed to wear their swords
- They were asked to remain in their seats during the entire performance
- They were asked not to drink during the performance
What restrictions were placed on the women in the audience?
- They were asked not to flirt with the men on stage
- They were asked not to gossip during the performance
- They were asked not to wear hoop skirts
- They were asked not to flutter their fans
How many singers made up the cast of the first performance of ‘Messiah’?
How old was Handel when he composed ‘Messiah’?
The answers to our first quiz will be published next month.