Under the direction of the Dean / Incumbent the librarian supports a church’s goal to educate and provide spiritual direction to its members. This unpaid volunteer learns on the job. The church librarian is responsible for organizing library books and other materials, keeping track of books lent to church goers and promoting the library. Without a librarian, a church library is just a room full of books.
Position: Parish Librarian
Accountable to: Dean/Incumbent
Purpose: To serve the parish by developing and maintaining the church library
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Develop and maintain an accurate and up-to-date card file of books and other resource materials.
- Develop a resource section in the library, containing commentaries and a variety of biblical translations.
- Recruit and train volunteers to work in the library.
- Create attractive displays promoting new books and periodicals.
- Issue library cards and establish procedures for checking out and receiving books.
- Solicit donations and purchase new books regularly.
- Develop an audio-visual resource section in the library.
- Develop and distribute informational materials about the library and its needs.
- Perform other duties as needed.